Pages

Friday, August 14, 2009

Gatefold Vintage Album





This is me, wasn't I cute lol don't you just love that Pixie Hood
I found this album which was started some time ago and decided it was time I finished it. I wanted to do a double Gatefold. With hindsight I wish I had made the pages larger, put hinges both sides still but alternated the pages so that I could get larger photo's on rather than 2 seperate side which also makes it a bit hard to manage and puts strain on the centre of the book.

Now I need to make a box to keep it in.

I cannot remember the names of all the papers etc but there are a lot of products around to achieve a similar effect.

I spent a day with my Mum going through all the photo's and getting names, dates etc as she is a "mine of information" Dad did try to contribute but he was "shot down in flames" as he was wrong!! poor Dad bless him. I must admit it got a bit emotional funny and sad as they started to reminisce over the pictures as well as the details. I think its important to try to do one of these albums as once your parents are gone their memories and all that information is gone forever. Its also a good way to help younger family members should they ever wish to take it further and do more to trace their history. Above all it was nice to hear the stories.

A couple of things I did was -
  • Make photocopies of the photo's rather than using originals they are far to precious, I wish I had got some matt papers as the glossy is a bit harsh.
  • I also made mini versions of photocopied birth and marriage certificates to put in.
  • I used paper bags to make pockets for "similar" photo's that were left over. It would have made the album a bit too thick to have them all in it.
  • Even the vintage design papers I used were looking a bit too pristine so I used distress inks to tone them down.
  • The hardware for the book came from a lady in Florida but similar is now available in the UK, try 3D Jean, Scrapshed, Paper Artsy, The Fruit Pixie, Artist Trading Post these are just a few of the companies with fab ranges of Altered Art supplies. Also raid your hubbys tool box he must have a few hinges, hooks etc you could "borrow" lol
  • Brown paper bags make great pockets, look for stronger ones and alter them to suit
  • Tabbed brown Card file sheets make good dividers
A few of the things I used, Stamps are Crafty Individuals, Personnal Impressions and a few others, Inks by Ranger, Papers are an assortment of printed and some Bazzil for the cover, Grungeboard pieces and Brads

6 comments:

  1. WOW Fantastic scrapbook
    Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is brill great design and so much detail love cheryl x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra that is beautiful, you really are a great inspiration to me!! I have to get that flippin huge family scrapbook finished and then can start on something like that as it is just gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is stunning what alovely thing to make with all the memories and the distressed pages makes it stand out so well against the photos .Great keepsake.
    hugs judex

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great to have all these memories in such a super book. Pixie hoods...... My 2 sisters and I all had one each in different colours and striped to boot, yeuck. xx Doreensumple

    ReplyDelete
  6. This album is remind me my childhood memories. So nice to see this album. Thanks for sharing this.
    Discount Cards

    ReplyDelete

Contact - slowef@aol.com
Don't forget to become a Follower :-)