Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Struggling with Snowmen

I have been destroying this paper for a few days now as I wasn't finding it easy to use. It has lots of large one page images which don't lend themselves to much other than being put as a feature on a large card but I am working on that one :-(

Rather than make any more paper meet its maker I sat down and went through the packs. As I sorted I saw lots of ideas and ways I could use them. I am sure some will work some not but that's crafting. I think I now have about 30 written down on a pad. I got them in several sizes so some designs feature in each pack. There is a lack of backing papers unless you sacrifice some image sheets :-( I think Backing papers should NOT be a second side.

There are a number of sheets which feature the building of The Snowman. I choose yo use these for the project above. An elaborate card along the lines of a Tag Book. Here is a short guide to sizes and ways its done.

I used -
  • Core'dinations card
  • Handmade paper ribbon
  • Snowman Stamp from the "The Feast" set
  • Sheets from the 4.5 x 6.5 pack and 6" x 6"
  • Stazon ink
  • Cuttlebug with Swiss Dots folder is used thoughout for the covers and pages, sanded to make a snow effect background
Sizes of card to cut -
  • 2 x 5 3/4" x 5 3/4" these are the covers
  • 3 x 5 3/4" x 5 1/2" inside pages
  • 1 x 5 3/4" x 4" the spine, score and concertina this at every 1/2"
***if you want more pages add 1" for each page and score at 1/2" as before***

I made this ribbon to tie the finished card with, its just paper ribbon stamped with the Snowman words several times. **Work on scrap paper as it does go through the open texture.
Stamped again for the title and matted and ran through the cuttlebug
I used sheets from the 4.5" x 6", 6" x 6" and 8" x 8" in this design, there are 2 showing the Building of The Snowman. You need to discard for another project any that are not on all the sheets but you will have enough for 12 finished toppers which works great as I wanted a number that divided evenly. I layered them with a pyramid type effect, the top one is a textured sheet so that was handy and I only used foam pads on this layer.

Assemble your pages as shown in the next 3 photo's


Now glue the cover to the front of the first concertina, the pages to the front of the next three concertina fronts and the back cover to the last so it is on the inside of the book for neatness. It will kind of flip as you pull it open by the front and back covers. Tie it closed with the ribbon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Snowman Coasters

I made a box from 2 sheets of the double sided cut 1 x 5 1/8" square and 1 x 5" square for the bottom so it fits inside. Tutorial for this box is here

The 8" x 8" pack has a sheet with these 4 images which are just right to cover coasters (Beer Mats) I used paper to back them then laminated to make them waterproof. Cute Stocking Filler maybe :-)
Now for the not so good experiments!! This is a Wiper card, the snowman pops up as you pull it at either end. The image used is from the Chipboard pack. Excellent tutorial at Splitcoaststampers for making this with a video
Poor attempts at spring cards. I am not happy with these as they never seem to sit up properly, shame as they are quite cute. If you want a try at these look here for dimensions and fold technique

2 comments:

  1. oh wow you have been having fun. i love all your projects.. there's me struggling with making two cards lol... i love th eidea for teh coasters.. i think i will have to try that...now where is there a pub i could 'borrow' some beer mats from lol... i will just make them i think from chipboard :)
    How about a lovely children's place setting for teh Christmas table... lamenated paper is just perfect for that.... plain white serviettes could be stamped up too... I dont have any children to ctare for... perhaps hubby would like it :) i could try :) It was seeing your ribbon stamped up made me think of it :)
    Thanks for sharing your lovely idea as and your comemnts on my cards
    hugs rozzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra
    how beautiful, again you have impressed me!! lol well you always do but I have no enthusiasm for crafting at the moment!!

    havent seen that set before either, really really lovely xx

    ReplyDelete

Contact - slowef@aol.com
Don't forget to become a Follower :-)